The Klostertal Museum in Wald am Arlberg is housed in the former "Thöny-Hof" in Außerwald, Obere Gasse 11. The changing history of the estate and its owner families Wachter, Schuler and Thöny can be traced back to its construction around the mid-17th century. Until 1959 the farm was inhabited and managed; In that year, Valentin Thöny left his home country to study theology in Innsbruck. Since then, the property was more or less empty. It is thanks to this fact that it has not been altered by alterations and a large part of the original equipment has been preserved.
Since the beginning of the 1980s, efforts have been made in the Klostertal to build a valley museum.
In the search for a suitable location, those responsible came across the "Thöny-Hof", which was adapted as a museum in more than 10 years of work.
In June 1994 the newly created Klostertal Museum was handed over to its purpose.
The Klostertal Museum was designed from the outset as a museum of a "different kind" and should set itself apart from anything "homely". Four priorities have been set, which correspond to the real story of the valley:
Rural living and working
History, social history and artist personalities
Traffic history, railways, post and tourism
The visitor - whether native or guest - is to be given an insight into the history of the monastery valley and the people who lived here, but without giving the impression of a "good, old time".
The lovingly furnished "Thöny-Hof" tells the exciting story of our monastery valley and is a varied offer for families and history lovers - not only recommended in bad weather!