The district captaincy Bludenz was housed since the establishment of the political administrative authorities in 1868 in the castle Gayenhofen. From 1929 to the autumn of 1963, however, she had another building available. In 1956, when many refugees from Hungary poured into the country, it served as accommodation for asylum seekers. In 1959, the city of Bludenz then transferred the castle, which belonged to it since 1937, to the province of Vorarlberg free of charge with the condition that it be used as an office building for the district headquarters. As a result, the listed building was rebuilt in about three years of construction. On October 26, 1963, finally, the current office building of the District Commission Bludenz was officially handed over its purpose.